Makes 4 parfaits
Let kids have a go at mixing up a colorful, fruit-filled feast. Just like the mice in Mouse Paint, they’ll start with red, yellow, and blue “paint”—in the form of lightly sweetened fruit purees. Let them stir everything together and see what happens!
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pit removed, and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed raspberries
- Superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, divided
- 2 1/2 cups whole-milk vanilla yogurt
- In blender, combine mango with a 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice; blend until smooth. If fruit is having trouble blending, drizzle in a few teaspoons of water. Transfer to a nonreactive storage container and refrigerate. Repeat process with remaining fruit, cleaning blender jar after each batch.
- In a tall unbreakable glass, layer yogurt and each puree, alternating between yogurt and fruit, and ending with the yogurt. Alternately, you may individual portions of the fruit purees with a dish of yogurt and let your child pour them over the top. Serve immediately.
Note: Because these purees are made with raw fruit, they should be eaten immediately.
Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh. Sandpiper Press