Halloween is a sensory feast for little ones! The board books in this collection are perfect for introducing babies and toddlers to the holiday. Featuring cute jack-o'-lanterns, fun costumes, and not-so-spooky ghosts and ghouls, they make reading together wonderfully interactive with opportunities to touch and feel new textures, lift flaps, and peek into masks and mirrors. Make it a memorable Halloween with these sweet books — you can read the descriptions below or head straight to the shopping list.
1. Boo, Boo, I Love You! by Sandra Magsamen is an adorable touch-and-feel board book that features five Halloween friends and a classic witch's hat. Throughout the story, it cheerfully reminds children of just how much they're loved.
2. There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat by Lucille Colandro is a super fun twist on the classic "There Was an Old Lady" song, but beware — this Halloween, there’s a bat, an owl, a cat, a ghost, and more on the menu! Luckily, this spooky tale is told in a goofy way that's festive and funny, not frightening.
3. For the perfect fall bedtime story, try Good Night, Little Monsters by Kara LaReau. This heartwarming book shows that little monsters' bedtime routines aren't all that different from everybody else's, with rhymes such as: "Good night, Frankenbaby. Lay down your green head. Let's loosen your bolts and tuck you in bed."
4. In Here Comes Halloween! by Caroline Jayne Church, a small boy imagines all the things he could be this Halloween as he plays with fun-filled costumes. Will he be a robot, a dinosaur, or perhaps a monkey? Your little one will be excited to see which one he chooses!
5. Peppa's Giant Pumpkin by Samantha Lizzio follows famous Peppa as she grows a pumpkin for her class. But what will she do when the pumpkin gets too big to take to school?
6. Halloween Faces by Nancy Davis features a series of brightly colored, die-cut masks for little readers to peek through and "try on" in preparation for dressing up on Halloween.
7. An adorable pumpkin-shaped book, My Pumpkin by Lily Karr tells the cheerful story of one very sweet monster’s quest to find the perfect pumpkin for his jack-o’-lantern.
8. From Sandra Magsamen, Peek-a-Boooo! features a series of mirrored pages that invite little ones to imagine they are trying on a series of fun costumes for Halloween for an interactive, playful read.
9. Also by Sandra Magsamen, I Love You Little Pumpkin is a fun, interactive lift-the-flap book that reminds babies and toddlers how much they are loved.
10. Five Little Pumpkins by Natalie Marshall is a Halloween twist on a classic song. This interactive board book features sweet illustrations, tabs to help little readers turn the pages, and suggestions for hand actions to try as you enjoy the book together.
11. This Halloween, enjoy a rhyming story with your little one while counting from one to ten with owls, bats, black cats, and all things not-so-very-scary with Haunted Halloween by Sue Fliess.
12. We’re Going on a Spooky Ghost Hunt by Ken Geist is a cheery, Halloween play on the classic "We’re Going on a Bear Hunt" chant that follows three children along a twisty path, a rickety bridge, and more landmarks right up to a (friendly) ghost!
13. Happy Halloween, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt sees a return of Stinky Face and his mom, and this time, his mother is calming Stinky Face’s fears about Halloween night.
14. Is your little pumpkin ready to step into the haunted house of Spooky Boo! A Halloween Adventure by Lily Karr? There are spooky lift-the-flaps, new textures to feel, and crazy mirrors to peer into within the pages of this wonderfully interactive Halloween tale.
15. It’s Halloween and Clifford wants to try everything — from trick-or-treating to candy apples — in Clifford’s First Halloween by Norman Bridwell. The world's favorite red puppy might just be the cutest little ghost you've ever seen!
For more great Halloween books, check out pumpkin books little ones will love and fun reads for newly independent readers. Shop our entire collection of Halloween books and activities at The Scholastic Store.
Want more book and reading ideas? Sign up for our Scholastic Parents newsletter.