Halloween is such a sensory feast for little ones and the board books in this collection are perfect for introducing babies and toddlers to the holiday. Featuring cute jack-o'-lanterns, fun costumes, and not-so-spooky ghosts and ghouls, the books in this collection also make reading together wonderfully interactive with opportunities to touch-and-feel, lift flaps, and peek into masks, mirrors, and more.
1. An adorable pumpkin shaped book, My Pumpkin by Lily Karr, tells the cheerful story of one very sweet monster’s quest to find the perfect pumpkin for his jack-o’-lantern.
2. Halloween Faces by Nancy Davis features a series of brightly colored, die-cut masks for little readers to peek through and "try on" in preparation for dressing up on Halloween.
3. New from Sandra Magsamen, Peek-a-Booo! features a series of mirrored pages that invite little ones to imagine they are trying on a series of fun costumes for Halloween — after all, it’s Halloween and you can be whoever you want to be!
4. Also by Sandra Magsamen, I Love You Little Pumpkin is a fun, interactive lift-the-flap book that reminds babies and toddlers how much they are loved.
5. In Here Comes Halloween! by Caroline Jayne Church, a small boy imagines all the things he could be this Halloween as he plays with the fun-filled dress-up options in a box of costumes.
6. Five Little Pumpkins by Natalie Marshall is a Halloween twist on a classic action song. This interactive board book features sweet illustrations, tabs to help little readers turn the pages, and suggestions for hand actions to try as you enjoy the book together.
7. This Halloween, enjoy a rhyming romp while counting from one to ten with owls, bats, black cats, and all things not-so-very-scary with Haunted Halloween by Sue Fliess.
8. We’re Going on a Spooky Ghost Hunt by Ken Geist is a cheery, Halloween play on the classic "We’re Going on a Bear Hunt" chant that follows three children along a twisty path, a rickety bridge, and more landmarks right up to a (friendly) ghost!
9. Happy Halloween, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt sees a return of Stinky Face and his mom, and this time, his mother is calming Stinky Face’s fears about Halloween night.
10. Are your brave enough to step inside the haunted house of Spooky Boo! A Halloween Adventure by Lily Karr? There are spooky lift-the-flaps, icky things to touch, and crazy mirrors to peer into within the pages of this wonderfully interactive Halloween tale.
11. There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat by Lucille Colandro is a super fun twist on the classic "There Was an Old Lady" song but beware because this Halloween there’s a bat, an owl, a cat, a ghost, and more on the menu!
12. It’s Halloween and Clifford wants to try everything — from trick-or-treating to candy apples — in Clifford’s First Halloween by Norman Bridwell. Your favorite red puppy might just be the cutest little ghost you ever did see!
Do you have a favorite Halloween board book? Tell us about it on Scholastic Parents Facebook Page!