10 Questions to Ask Your Child About His Day at School
The trick is to ask about things that are specific, but still open-ended. Move beyond "fine" and "nothing" by asking your child to describe his world. It's also great to start the conversation with an anecdote from your own day. Try one of these conversation-starters:
- Tell me about the best part of your day.
- What was the hardest thing you had to do today?
- Did any of your classmates do anything funny?
- Tell me about what you read in class.
- Who did you play with today? What did you play?
- Do you think math [or any subject] is too easy or too hard?
- What's the biggest difference between this year and last year?
- What rules are different at school than our rules at home? Do you think they're fair?
- Who did you sit with at lunch?
- Can you show me something you learned (or did) today?