About the Book
Henry’s family has a history with magic: his father has been caught up in an evil wizard’s scheme, and the last Wandmaker, Coralis, needs Henry’s help to save the world. It would be a dream come true for Henry — except that in his first act of magic, he accidentally turns his sister, Brianna, into a hedgehog. Henry, Coralis, and Brianna all have to learn to work together if they’re going to stop the evil wizard, cure Brianna, save Henry’s dad, and bring some magic back into the world.
- Why does Henry want to believe in magic?
- Henry adds several objects inside his wand to infuse it with his personality. If you had a wand, which objects would you add and why?
- Mrs. Verrity, the librarian, says, “No one can know everything . . . The secret of possessing knowledge lies in knowing where to look for it.” Explain your thoughts about this statement. Do you agree or disagree?
- Which scene from the book do you remember best? What makes it so memorable?
- How does Henry’s perception of Brianna evolve over the course of the story?
- Were you surprised to learn the truth behind Randall’s background? Why or why not?
- Henry is inquisitive, Brianna is brave, and Coralis is wise. Which character are you most similar to? Which do you have the least in common with?
- Did you ever find yourself disagreeing with a character’s choice? What did they do? What would you have done differently?
- What surprised you most about the story? What did you learn from reading this book?
Learn more about the Mother Daughter Book Club!