About the Book
Two boys are teased and bullied until they join forces and become Freak the Mighty. The unique friendship between a troubled, oversized boy and the tiny, physically challenged genius proves that courage comes in all sizes.
- How does Kevin compare his life to that of King Arthur?
- Why does Max cry after his first dinner with Kevin and Gwen? Did this surprise you? Why or why not?
- When do Kevin and Max first become Freak the Mighty?
- What changes for Max and his grandparents after the pond incident?
- How does going to classes with Kevin help Max become a better student? How has a friend helped you or how have you helped a friend in school?
- Getting older worries both Max and Kevin. Why do you think that is?
- Why do you think Kevin tells Max about getting a bionic body?
- Gram says that you can’t judge a book by its cover. List some examples of how this applies in the story and in your life.
- List five words that you might want to add to your own personal dictionary to share with your friends.
- Max and Kevin are friends largely because of their differences and similarities. What similarities and differences do you share with your best friends?