One of my children’s favorite day trips is a visit to our local aquarium. There's just something so captivating about the tiny snapshot into life under the sea that an aquarium affords. It is truly fascinating — and not just for the kids!
If you, like me, have school-aged children who enjoy learning about life below deck, this collection of books will take them on an enchanting journey, introducing them to sea creatures and ocean-lovers, and offering a plethora of interesting facts along the way.
1. We love Ms. Frizzle and her students and The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor by Joanna Cole takes the class on an exciting adventure to explore the marine life found on the ocean floor.
2. With a colorful, magazine-style layout, Really? Ocean by Penelope Arlon shares fascinating ocean facts sourced directly from oceanographers and researchers.
3. My Encyclopedia of the Sea by Patrick Louisy unveils the wonders that lie beneath oceans all across the world — from the chilly arctic seas to warm, tropical waters.
4. Steve Jenkins’ non-fiction titles for children include captivating illustrations and fascinating details, and none more so than Down Down Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Seaas readers descend down through the layers of the Pacific Ocean.
5. Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Sea by Molly Bang is a fascinating book about the important roles the sun and single-celled phytoplankton play in the life cycles of all marine life.
6. The Undersea World by Tamra B. Orr teaches children about the history of deep sea exploration, from early submersibles to today’s much more high-tech expeditions.
7. The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jack Cousteau by Dan Yaccarino is a fabulous picture book biography of famous undersea photographer and ocean researcher, Jack Cousteau.
8. Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle by Claire A. Nivola is an eye-catching picture book biography about the life of marine scientist and conservationist, Sylvia Earle.
If you’re feeling inspired to visit your local aquarium after reading a book or two from the list, be sure to check out these tips for making the most of your summertime visit.