Writing With Writers: Fairy Tales
Explore fairy tales and fables — some of them fractured!
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Additional supplies (optional):
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs! by Jon Scieszka
- Squids Will Be Squids by Jon Scieszka
What to do:
- Log on to Discovering Fairy Tales. This activity was developed with classrooms in mind, you can use it at home. (To return to this page, simply close the browser window where Discovering Fairy Tales has appeared.)
- Read the background on fairy tales. Share your favorite fairy tales with your child.
- Next, explore fractured fairy tales and fables with author Jon Scieszka. This is particularly entertaining after reading his fractured fairy tale The True Story of the Three Little Pigs! and his fables in Squids Will Be Squids.
- Finally, your child can pull together everything she's learned and publish her own fractured fairy tale online.
- knowledge of the characteristics of the genres of fairy tales and fables
- awareness of the differences between fairy tales and fables
- practice writing in the genres of fairy tales and fables
- creative writing
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 6-7