In Scholastic’s “Discovering Fairy Tales” reading activity (grades K–3) — part of the Myths, Folktales & Fairy Tales workshop — students discover the history of fairy tales, the different cultures that have created them, and the magical elements that make them what they are in this basic introduction to the genre.
While participating in this activity, students learn to identify unique characteristics of fairy tales.
While participating in the Myths, Folktales, and Fairy Tales project, students become proficient with several of these skills:
- Demonstrate understanding of the genres by responding to questions.
- Identify unique characteristics of the genre: myth, folktale, folklore, and fairy tales.
- Produce written work to show evidence of knowledge of the different genres.
- Read and listen to genre examples to increase knowledge of genre characteristics.
- Use Web tools to access information about different cultures.
- Use Web tools to write and publish original myths, folktales, and fairy tales.
- Compare historic world cultures with contemporary ones.