- Reflect on their reading interests and strengths
- Choose a "just right" book to read with a partner
- Plan and organize reading meetings with a partner in the class
- Review story elements by retelling the stories they are reading
- Make text-to-self and text-to-text connections as they read
- Compose "thick" questions about a text that encourage higher-level thinking
- Discuss and evaluate literature with a partner
- Make predictions about what they are reading based on evidence from the text
- Plan and present a book project to their classmates
In this unit, students are paired with similar readers in their class to engage in meaningful reading partnerships.
Reading partners will independently begin the book that they have both chosen to read. They will meet throughout their reading of the book to discuss the text and ask their reading partner questions about the story.
Students choose from a list of creative ways to culminate their reading experience and demonstrate their understanding of the book they read together.