Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Gross Motor Skills
What you need:
- large roll of canvas
- stencils (optional)
- decorative materials
What to do:
- Unroll canvas out in front of you so that there is enough room to create a large hopscotch grid.
- Using a magazine as a guide, draw out eight squares in a traditional hopscotch arrangement — or invent your own layout.
- You and your child can then write in the numbers in big block print, or in any style you like. You can use stencils if desired.
- Invite your child to color in the numbers with crayons or paint, and add any other desired decorations.
- With a hole punch, punch a hole at one end of your mat and thread a ribbon through to use as a closure for when you roll up the mat.
- Make a small beanbag by filling a fabric sack or a sock with dry beans or rice. Tie it closed. Now you're ready to play!
- Builds large- and small-motor skills
- Encourages creativity
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5