Similar to the work they do in reading, 7th graders deepen their writing skills by using analysis, paying close attention to detail and providing reasons, proofs, and examples for the ideas they express. 7th graders write a variety of genres, including informative pieces, opinion pieces, and narratives and they complete both short-term and long-term writing assignments. There is also particular attention paid to research and teaching students to do their own independent research and research projects as described below, specifically through the use of digital resources.
In order to build writing skills, your 7th grader:
Writes arguments that present clear reasons and relevant evidence and include:
- Acknowledgements of opposing claims;
- Logical and orderly presentations of reasons and evidence;
- The use of appropriate transitions, words, and phrases to connect claims;
- A concluding sentence or paragraph which supports the argument made; and
- A formal tone and style.
Writes structured and well organized opinion, research, and informative pieces that:
- Use supporting claims and evidence that are based on credible texts and resources;
- Include an introduction that has an explanation of what follows;
- Develop topics through the use of facts, detailed quotations, and examples and subject specific terms and definitions;
- Include transitions that connect concepts and paragraphs;
- Include a conclusion that supports the presented idea(s);
- Maintain a formal “essay type” style; and
- Integrate other forms of media and formats, such as graphs, charts, headings, and audio or video when appropriate.
Writes well-structured narratives (both true and fiction) that include:
- A narrator, characters, and a point of view;
- Descriptive detail and sensory language to describe characters, settings, and experiences;
- Dialogue details and descriptions of characters, setting, and experiences;
- A clear structure with a logical order and flow, as shown through the use of transition words; and
- A conclusion that is connected to and builds on the narrative.
- Plans, revises, and edits writing, specifically with guidance from teachers and peers, focusing specifically on trying new approaches and making sure the writing has a purpose and appeals to its audience.
- Uses technology and the Internet to produce and publish writing.
- Works with others and cites sources.
- Works on multiple, short research projects that answer a specific question and cite multiple sources, while gathering additional questions for later research.
- Uses both print and digital resources to conduct research, focusing on using appropriate search terms and reliable sources.
- Uses quotes and a standard format for citation.
- Uses research to analyze and make inferences.