What you need:
- index cards
What to do:
- Begin by writing words on index cards. If your child has a vocabulary or spelling list to study, you can use those words. Be sure to include nouns, adjectives, and verbs.
- Provide some silly choices, too — words such as "squishy," "hippopotamus," "liver," "bumps," "flip," and "gargle."
- Toss 10 to 12 of the cards into the air and let them fall to the ground.
- As they are falling, challenge your child to pick up words as quickly as he can, read them, and use them to form a sentence.
- Once your child has formed a few sentences, trade places and let him toss the cards.