What you need:
- Music from various genres, such as Latin, African, calypso, reggae, bluegrass, country, soul, jazz, classical, or even polkas
- Child-size rhythm instruments
What to do:
- Listen to some music. Encourage your child to describe the music. Is it fast or slow? Can she identify any of the instruments being played? If possible, show a photograph of the musicians or instruments.
- If there is a special dance you know, show your child some basic movements. Or, invite her to create her own movement.
- Introduce the rhythm instruments so that she can play along.
- If your child likes to sing, record her. She'll love hearing herself on the recorder and will appreciate the memory later.