Making beautiful crystals at home is easy with just a few everyday household items. Try this fun science-based activity with your children — just wait for a bright day, since sunshine is a key element to growing crystals.
What You Need
- Black, dark blue, or dark purple construction paper
- Small foil pie or brownie pan
- Epsom salt
- Warm water
- A bright, sunny day
- Magnifying glass or microscope (optional)
What to Do
- Cut a piece of construction paper to fit at the bottom of your foil pan.
- Dissolve one tablespoon of Epsom salts into 1/4 cup of warm water.
- Pour the salt water into the pan lined with the paper.
- Place the pan outside in a sunny spot.
- Once all of the water has evaporated, you'll see small crystal growths on the paper!
- If you happen to have a magnifying glass or microscope, observe the formations a bit closer. Crystal cool!
- reinforces science concepts