What you need:
- 4 gummy worm candies, all the same size
- ice cubes
- 2 bowls
- 2 zip-top baggies
- pen or pencil
What to do:
- Measure the length of each gummy worm on a ruler. Record the measurements as "length before," and then set aside one worm.
- Take the worm you have set aside and stretch it as far as you can without breaking it. Record this measurement as "length after."
- Take a second worm and roll it between your hands for 4 minutes to warm it up. Stretch it along the ruler and record the "length after," noting that this was the hand-warmed worm.
- Fill one bowl with hot water and one bowl with ice cubes. Place the two remaining worms in separate baggies and submerge them in the bowls for 4 minutes. Then stretch each worm along the ruler and record the two final lengths.
- Compare the results. How does temperature affect how much a gummy worm can stretch?