What you need:
- imitation silver leaf (additional colors optional; order the leaf online or find it in craft stores)
- water-based metal leaf adhesive size (a brush-on adhesive)
- water-based finish
- wooden chair
What to do:
- First, sketch your desired design on paper and cut out the shapes you would like to include. Position the shapes on the chair and keep them in place with tape.
- Trace the shapes with pencil and paint inside the lines with a thin layer of water-based silver leaf size.
- Once the glue is completely dry (it will still be a little sticky), place the sheets of leaf on top of the painted shapes so that they are completely covered.
- Once all shapes are covered, rub the surface lightly. The extra leaf will brush away. Don't worry if your leaf tears. Simply fit the pieces together and make sure that the entire glue surface is covered. The tear won't show once you smooth the surface with your fingers.
- Cover the surface with a clear water-based finish to preserve your creation.