What you need:
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ cups boiling water
- Food coloring (your choice of colors)
- Sharp pencil or chopstick
- Yarn or string
What to do:
- Measure the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir this together very well.
- Measure and add the vegetable oil.
- Stir in the boiling water (adult only). Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Help your child knead the dough until it is very smooth. Divide it into 4 balls.
- Help your child add a few drops of different shades of food coloring to each ball. Knead the color so that it is well distributed.
- Show your child how to roll the play dough into beads that are each about the size of a cherry. Poke a hole through each bead, using the pencil (adult only). Wiggle the pencil around a little bit to make sure the hole is large enough for yarn or string to get through.
- Let the beads dry overnight. Help your child string the beads onto the yarn, alternating the colors. Tie each necklace by knotting the ends of the yarn together.