What you need:
- Poster board
- Construction paper
- Markers and/or felt tip pens
- Photos (optional)
What to do:
- Explain to your child that the U.S. flag features symbols that tell our country's story — one star for each of the 50 states and 13 stripes to represent the 13 original colonies.
- Ask your child to think about what would symbolize her. This could include hobbies, favorite things, cultural celebrations, sports, or people who are important to her.
- Challenge your child to decide how to represent those things. She can use drawings, construction paper, pictures from magazines, photos, and anything else that comes to mind.
- Next, she can sketch out her flag on a piece of paper, deciding which elements should go where.
- Finally, it's time to put her flag together on a piece of poster board. As an extension, you could work together to make a flag to represent your family, neighborhood, or town.
- Reinforces a sense of identity
- Introduces the concept of symbols
- Encourages creativity