What you need:
- Drawing paper
- Markers and/or crayons
- Bookbinding materials: a stapler or a hole punch and yarn
What to do:
- Ask your child to think about items associated with birthdays: cake, party hats, birthday games, balloons, and favorite presents. Invite her to draw pictures, or find photos, of each item.
- Encourage her to write or dictate a description about each of her drawings.
- Make a cover and bind the book, either by stapling the sides together or by punching holes and tying the pages together with yarn.
- Offer your child art materials. Ask her to think of a title, and invite her to illustrate the cover. Remind her that she is both an author and an illustrator!