Makes about 18 pies
For the gingerbread cakes
• 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
• ¼ tsp ground cloves
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
• ½ cup sour cream
• 1/3 cup molasses
For the cream-cheese filling
• 1 8-oz package cream cheese, at room temperature
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
• Edible glitter and/or sanding sugar, for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350?F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cream butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined, then beat in vanilla.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, and molasses. With mixer on low, add a third of the flour mixture to butter mixture, then add half of the egg mixture. (Allow mixture to combine after each step.) Add another third of the flour mixture, then remaining egg mixture. Add remaining
3. Drop heaping tablespoons of batter about 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake cakes, 1 sheet at a time, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they spring back when lightly touched. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then remove to a rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, make the filling: Combine cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar ½ cup at a time, beating to combine after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
5. To assemble whoopie pies, sandwich a heaping tablespoon of the filling between two gingerbread cakes. Decorate with edible glitter or colorful sanding sugar.
Photo Credit: Ryan Liebe