Only adults should handle the candy while it’s hot. Use oven mitts for heat safety while you work.
- Parchment paper
- Wooden skewers
- 4–5 hard candies for each pop (such as spearmint starlight mints, green apple or blue raspberry Jolly Rancher hard candies, and clear crystal mints)
1. Preheat the oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with small pieces of parchment paper, one for each pop.
2. On one piece of paper, arrange four or five candies to form a rectangle. For the partially melted starlight mint pop (third from left on page 59), position four together to make a square, and center another candy at the top.
3. Place in the oven for 5 to 9 minutes (depending upon how melted you would like your candy). Remove and let cool for 1 minute.
4. Using oven mitts, take the candy, still on the parchment paper, off the baking sheet, and cut it into a triangle or tree shape with scissors. (You can cut through both the candy and the parchment paper at the same time.)
5. Return pops to the baking sheet on a new piece of parchment. Push in or press on a stick, and twist to coat it in candy. (Snip the pointy end off of a skewer to make a kid-friendly lollipop stick.) If the candy needs smoothing, return it to the oven for about 2 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Photo Credit: Amy Gropp Forbes
Reprinted from CANDY AISLE CRAFTS Copyright © 2014 by Jodi Levine. Photographs © 2014 by Amy Gropp Forbes. Published by Potter Craft, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House LLC.