After assembling this snuggly mama and baby duo, build them an igloo out of a pile of rock candy gems ($5 for 1 lb, Candynation.com).
- 1 regular marshmallow
- 3 black gumdrops
- 2 black nonpareils
- 1 orange gumdrop
- 1 black Haribo Raspberry
1. To make the mama penguin torso, cut a sliver off the flat top of the marshmallow where the head will go. Cut two angled sides where the wings will be adhered.
2. To craft the wings, cut two slim pieces off the side of a black gumdrop. Press the pieces onto the cut sides of the marshmallow.
3. To build the head, on the side of the second black gumdrop, use a toothpick to poke two holes for eyes. With the now-sticky toothpick, pick up the nonpareils and push them into the holes.
4. Cut an angled piece off the side of the orange gumdrop for the beak. Roll it between your fingers to make it pointy. Cut a sliver off the back of the beak so that it is sticky. Use the toothpick to scrape away the sugary coating on the black gumdrop head to expose some stickiness, then press on the beak. Press the head onto the body.
5. To make the baby, top the last black gumdrop with a Haribo Raspberry. Add a sliver of orange gumdrop for a beak.
Photo Credit: Amy Gropp Forbes
Reprinted from CANDY AISLE CRAFTS Copyright © 2014 by Jodi Levine. Photographs © 2014 by Amy Gropp Forbes. Published by Potter Craft, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House LLC.