May is Healthy Vision Month.
That makes it a perfect time to schedule an eye exam for your child. He should have his first at 6 months, then at 3 years, then again right before school starts. Also be on the lookout for these symptoms of a possible vision problem:
- sitting too close to the TV or holding a book too close
- difficulty with eye-hand-body coordination
- frequent eye-rubbing
- turning or tilting the head to use one eye
- avoiding detailed activities like coloring
In School-Age Children
- frequent eye-rubbing or blinking
- covering one eye
- frequent headaches
- short attention span
- losing one’s place when reading and difficulty remembering what was read
- avoiding reading or other similar activities
Sites to See
If your child needs glasses, consider ordering them online. 39DollarGlasses.com offers a selection of frames with lenses for only $39, much cheaper than brick-and-mortar stores. But before you order, check out allaboutvision.com, a website full of tips on finding the right frames for your child, info on what’s new in kids’ eyewear, and more.