What you need:
- crayons and/or markers, or pictures cut from magazines
What to do:
1. Visit the I SPY Web site in the Kids section of Scholastic.com, and click on the "Fun and Games" button.
2. Click on the "Games" button, and then choose the TV Games tab to find "Rhyme Time," "Riddle Round Up," or "Catch 'Em if You Can."
3. As your child plays the games, read the riddles aloud with her and point out the highlighted words within each riddle.
4. In the "Rhyme Time" and "Riddle Round Up" games, encourage your child to say the names of each of the objects on the screen aloud. In the "Catch 'Em if You Can" game, ask your child to call out the names of the objects as he helps Wheeler catch them.
5. You can also find illustrations of some of the I SPY characters in the Print and Color section.
6. As an extension, create your own I SPY riddles using pictures from a magazine. Alternatively, your child could draw the objects herself.
- early-reading skills, including word and letter recognition, word-object identification, rhyming, and vocabulary
- visual discrimination
- number recognition
- eye-hand coordination