Scholastic's Summer Reading Challenge is on! If you haven't already signed your kids up, this Superhero Word Search for superpowers will get them psyched for summer reading for sure! Why? Because everyone loves a superhero, superpowers, and a good book. So this literacy tie-in is a great way to get young superheroes reading and thinking!
Remember, the best way to make the most of your kids' word searching experience is taking just a few minutes to prepare them.
Like we’ve said before, don’t just throw the Word Search at your kids and be done with it. Prep them in super-simple ways that will help them find these words quickly and easily, ensuring better connections!
Here’s some tips:
1. Talk about superheroes! (That shouldn’t be too hard!) Talk about what you remember about superheroes and what kind of qualities and superpowers those heroes possess.
2. Take a minute to read each of the Words To Find in the box at the bottom of the crossword puzzle printable. Say each word out loud and then talk about the meaning of each word. Talk about which superheroes you know that possess each quality. Do you know people in your life who demonstrate those qualities? Who are they, and when have you seen those qualities in action?
Here is our superpower word list:
3. Remind your child how a word search works. Talk about the ways you can identify the words you find (circle it or highlight it) and that you keep track of the words on the bottom of the puzzle by crossing each word off as you find it.
4. Grab the writing utensils you need (pencil, pen, or highlighter).
5. Start searching and have fun!
To print this free Printable, click on image below:
Want a few cool extension activities? Consider:
- Finding some superhero books to read throughout the summer;
- Writing a story that focuses on one of the superhero qualities listed here;
- Design a comic book or graphic novel about a favorite superhero!
Is your family into superheroes? What ways do you include superheroes in your reading or learning? We’d love to know! Share your ideas on the Scholastic Parents Facebook page, or find Amy on Twitter @teachmama and let’s continue the conversation!
Check out bloggers Amy Mascott and Allie McDonald's book, Raising a Rock-Star Reader: 75 Quick Tips for Helping Your Child Develop a Lifelong Love for Reading. Get expert advice and learn new strategies for your young readers.