Have you ever laughed so hard that you cried? That’s exactly what happened to me when I saw this Scottish granny reading to her grandchild on social media. Take a look.
Why did millions of people get so much joy from watching a complete stranger read The Wonky Donkey aloud? Because we felt entertained, connected, and inspired. There’s just something powerful about books and the loved ones we share them with.
So you loved the video, but will your little ones enjoy the 2009 book written by Craig Smith (and based on the song of the same name)? Yes! Here are six reasons why you and your kids (of all ages) will enjoy laughing your way through The Wonky Donkey.
1. Laughter is contagious and if we enjoy the books we’re reading with our kids, chances are they’re going to enjoy them, too. I mean, try saying "a spunky, hanky-panky, cranky, stinky, dinky, lanky, honky-tonky, winky wonky donkey!" with a straight face.
2. Children love repetition and The Wonky Donkey is a cumulative story (parts of the story build) and certain phrases are repeated over and over. The kids will laugh right along with you as you read the silly sentences again and again.
3. The video really showcases how fun reading can be. How awesome would it be to convey that same feeling about books to our kids? The book's author, Craig Smith, said making a book fun is at the forefront when he writes for children. In fact, The Wonky Donkey was inspired by a joke. Yes, reading a book can be and is fun!
4. Laughter is a universal language — it has the power to connect people instantly. And who doesn't want to connect with their kids a little more?
5. The story has a musicality to it. You can listen to Craig Smith sing The Wonky Donkey on YouTube — or download the free song. But apologies in advance if your kids want to play it on repeat once they hear it.
6. It's also said that laughter makes you younger. Well, after watching the granny in the video, I'm definitely feeling less dumpy and grumpy and more funky and spunky.
Next time your little talkie blondie Bonnie or Donnie suddenly dumpies sudsy laundry making mommy grumpy, grab The Wonkey Donkey and have a good laugh together.
Connect with Jodie Rodriguez at Growing Book by Book.