If you ask most dads what they would like to do for Father's Day, chances are they'll say they want to spend time with their kids. So after that afternoon barbecue and outdoor play, let your child snuggle up with dad and enjoy a book on this list that features the hero of the day.
1. Imagine if dads were trucks. They would be dependable and strong. Mighty Dads by Joan Holub takes your kids to the construction site, showing them how dads build things full of love. Each page shows little trucks working and learning right alongside the big trucks.
2. Trixie is on an outing to the laundromat with her dad in Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems. On their walk home, Trixie realizes that her stuffed bunny is missing and she goes into full meltdown mode. Luckily, they are able to retrace their steps that lead them right back to Knuffle Bunny.
3. Fans of the Llama Llama books will enjoy Nelly Gnu and Daddy Too by Anna Dewdney. Nelly Gnu is excited to spend the day building a playhouse with her daddy. During a trip to the store to pick up supplies, Nelly Gnu gets separated from her father. But, they are quickly reunited and that playhouse gets finished.
4. Have you ever tried to tell a child a story and are constantly interrupted? That is what happens to the papa in Interrupting Chickens by David Ezra Stein. Chicken wants to keep warning the animals in papa's stories. Then, when Chicken tells a story, it's her papa that keeps interrupting.
5. Because I'm Your Dad by Ahmet Zappa is all about the privileges dads get to take with their kids. In this story, dad is a super cuddly and friendly monster who enjoys giving tickles, serving spaghetti for breakfast, and making mud forts in the yard.
6. Hooked by Tommy Greenwald is the story of a father who discovers that doing something with his son, even though he doesn't like the chosen activity, turns out to be really fun. What truly matters is spending quality time together.
7. In true Todd Parr style, Parr highlights all the different types of daddies in the world in The Daddy Book. Some daddies sing in the shower, some daddies take pictures of you, and some daddies even wear unmatched socks.
8. Lola Loves Stories by Anna McQuinn is about little Lola who goes to the library with her father every week. She loves to act out each story that she enjoys. I love that this important ritual takes place each week with her daddy.
9. Families come in all shapes and sizes. Bruce in Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins had no intention of becoming a parent. He really was just looking for peace and quiet. But, some goslings have a much different plan. It turns out that Bruce's life is in for a big change. Dad and the kids will be giggling throughout this read-aloud.
10. My Daddy Rules the World: Poems About Dad by Hope Anita Smith is a collection of poems celebrating those routine tasks of being a dad from haircuts to horseplay wrestling matches. Each of the poems is told through the eyes of a young child.
Top off dad's day and create lasting memories with the kids with these enjoyable reads. If you want books that the extra little ones can share with dad, be sure to check out our list of 8 books about dad that your toddler will love.