Ten-year-olds are in a unique spot: They're the oldest in elementary school, and they've finally hit the double digits. But they're little because they're still, well... 10 years old.
Being a tween is not always an easy thing, because their tastes in clothes, food, and favorites are constantly changing. That's why books can make such a big difference for kids this age — they provide relatable plots, dear friends (by way of characters), and imaginative adventures as your child navigates all the changes life brings during the tween years.
The right books can also build upon your child's love of reading as they progress toward middle school, and support what they're learning in class.
Just take, for instance, these beloved series:
- The Baby-Sitters Club: It's the familiar adventures of Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia, Stacey, Dawn, and Mallory that you remember so well from your own childhood. Your child will discover the Baby-Sitter's Club adventures with cranky toddlers, prank calls, huge dogs, and more. Graphic novels like these are a good entry point into reading for kids who tend to avoid chapter books.
- Amulet: An American Library Association Best Book for Young Adults winner, this graphic novel series is action-packed, exciting, and suspenseful.
- Bone: In this fascinating series, the Bone cousins explore, protect, and defend life as they know it, fighting dragons, nasty weather, supernatural creatures, and more.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Percy Jackson fights mythological creatures alongside his demi-god friends in this series that will get your 10-year-old chatting about all things Greek.
- I Survived: Your child will find out what it was like to be in some of history's most memorable — and terrifying — moments, such as the Battle of Gettysburg, the Great Chicago Fire, D-Day, and more!
- Dog Man: In this best-selling series from the creator of Captain Underpants, the hero is half dog, half man, and all crime-biting legend! Ten-year-olds will giggle along as Dog Man gets ready to take on Petey the Cat, the felonious feline who's always hacking up harebrained schemes.
See of the top series for 10-year-olds below! You can find all books and activities at The Scholastic Store Online.
Want even more book and reading ideas? Sign up for our Scholastic Parents newsletter.