Sentence Grab Bag
Practice punctuation with this easy-to-make game.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- paper lunch bags
- printable punctuation cards
What to do:
- Print out the punctuation cards and cut them out along the dotted lines.
- Fill a paper bag with the punctuation cards.
- Ask each child to select a card.
- Take turns creating a sentence that uses the punctuation on the card (some cards have two). No repeating someone else's sentence!
- Write down each sentence after saying it aloud. Score one point for each correct sentence; double for those using two punctuation marks.
- After all the cards have been used, add up the points. The person with the most points wins. (There may be ties, and that's okay too!)
- For more of a challenge, cut up the sentences that you wrote into individual words. Put all of the words in one bag, and the punctuation cards in another.
- Now play the same game, but select both a word card and a punctuation card. Can you make a sentence using the word you've chosen and the punctuation mark?
- punctuation usage review
- practice with writing and grammar