Help your child grow as a writer — encourage him to create a family newspaper.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- My Family News form (PDF file)
What to do:
- Begin by looking at a newspaper together. Look at headlines, pictures, and captions. Talk about how each provides information.
- Now it's time to report on your own family's news — just like reporters who write stories for the newspaper. If you are having difficulty thinking of topics, make a list together of things that have gone on with your family that week. You can consider sports, hobbies, family get-togethers, visitors, trips, books, birthdays, or even embarrassing or funny moments!
- Fill in your family news using the My Family News form. (To print this, you will need Adobe® Acrobat Reader, version 4.0 or higher. If you do not have this software already, click here to download a FREE copy.)
- You can share My Family News with an audience. This might be family members or friends. If you have access to a photocopier, you might even make copies to share with relatives who live far away.
From Hands-on Homework Pages by Joan Novelli
(Scholastic Professional Books)
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 6-7