7 Ways to Promote Play and Prepare Your Toddler for School
Get your toddler ready for preschool with these 7 strategies.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
- Read and sing together. This will build her vocabulary, language, and communication skills.
- Count everything. Whether it's stairs, blocks, or candy, thinking about numbers will get him ready for math.
- Create art projects. Drawing with crayons, using safety scissors to cut paper, and creating collages with glue will make her comfortable with classroom tools.
- Encourage pouring. It may be messy, but pouring practice develops the coordination and control he'll need to write.
- Investigate the neighborhood. Go for walks and challenge her to remember a familiar route as an introduction to geography.
- Explore backyard insects and plants. Talk about what you see and he'll develop observation and early science skills.
- Design an obstacle course. Navigating her way through a simple maze of chairs and household items will not only develop her large motor skills and coordination, but increase her ability to problem-solve — a key concept for school success.