5 Don'ts for the Power Struggle Years
Stand your ground when your tween faces peer pressure.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
- Don't give in to your child's demands because you want him to love you. He'll love you more for being caring and principled.
- Don't criticize your child personally. Focus any concerns on specific behavior, choices, and disagreements.
- Don't trample on your child's sensitivities or be critical of him for wanting to be like his friends.
- Don't try to help your child win friends or seem "cool" by letting kids do risky things at your house.
- Don't assume other parents are as relaxed about an issue as you. If another child is with you, check with his parents first for their viewpoint.