5 Don'ts for the Power Struggle Years
Stand your ground when your tween faces peer pressure.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
- Don't give in to your child's demands because you want him to love you. He'll love you more for being caring and principled.
- Don't criticize your child personally. Focus any concerns on specific behavior, choices, and disagreements.
- Don't trample on your child's sensitivities or be critical of him for wanting to be like his friends.
- Don't try to help your child win friends or seem "cool" by letting kids do risky things at your house.
- Don't assume other parents are as relaxed about an issue as you. If another child is with you, check with his parents first for their viewpoint.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 11-13
Find Just-Right Books