Can you make a dirty penny shiny again?
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- Dirty pennies
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Small cup
- Small stick for stirring
What to do:
- Ask your child to help you pour the vinegar into the cup. How does it smell?
- Place the pennies in the cup. Can your child describe how they look?
- Add the salt. Stir. What do you think will happen to the pennies?
- Leave the pennies in the cup for 10 minutes.
- Pour out the vinegar and dry off the pennies. How do they look now?
- Supports observation and prediction skills
- Promotes discovery of a chemical reaction