Home Grown Crystals
Young science lovers will enjoy this easy, hands-on experiment.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- black, dark blue, or dark purple construction paper
- small foil pie or brownie pan
- epsom salt
- warm water
- a bright, sunny day
- magnifying glass or microscope (optional)
What to do:
- Cut a piece of construction paper to fit at the bottom of your foil pan.
- Dissolve one tablespoon of Epsom salts into 1/4 cup of warm water.
- Pour the salt water into the pan lined with the paper.
- Place the pan outside in a sunny spot.
- Once all of the water has evaporated, you'll see small crystal growths on the paper!
- If you happen to have a magnifying glass or microscope, observe the formations a bit closer. Crystal cool!
- reinforces science concepts