Make a moonscape!
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- Smooth rocks
- Scissors (optional)
- Fluorescent tempera paint
What to do:
- The next time you're on a walk with your child, encourage her to pick up 10 or 15 smooth rocks of varying sizes.
- Wash and dry the rocks.
- Spread newspapers on a flat surface and invite your child to paint the rocks. When she is finished, she may want to paint some decorations on the inside of the shoebox.
- Next, glue the rocks to the bottom (or side) of the inside of the shoebox to make a "moonscape."
- Turn off the lights and observe the scene! For added effect, you may also want to cut a hole in the shoebox lid to look through for a different perspective.
- As an extension, use library or online resources to find images of the moon. How is your child's scene different from those pictures? How is it similar?
- Inspires creativity
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5
Find Just-Right Books