What kinds can you find?
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Sorting and Classifying
What you need:
- insect guide and spider guide (from the library)
- magnifying glass
- pen or pencil
What to do:
- With your child, search your home and neighborhood for bugs. Places to look include: in corners, around the front door, in the backyard, in sidewalk cracks, on plants, on lights.
- When you find a bug, observe it closely with the magnifying glass. Use the guides to identify it. Then record your findings. Your child may also want to draw the bug.
- Collect observations over the course of a week, or maybe even a month. Then create a bar graph to show what kinds of bugs you found. What kinds were most common? Can you think of any reason why you found more of this type than others?
- strengthens observation skills
- enhances understanding of the ways bugs are classified
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5