Build pre-reading skills with this scavenger hunt.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Attention and Focus
What you need:
- list of words
- magazines, newspapers (optional)
What to do:
- Make a list of words you are likely to see on signs as you drive in the car (gas, stop, exit, etc.). Review the list with your child.
- Challenge your child to cross all the words off the list by the time you reach your destination.
- Try creating similar lists for words your child is likely to encounter in the grocery store, in the garage, in her bedroom, and so forth.
- For more advanced readers, create a list of more difficult words. This could even include spelling or vocabulary words from school.
- For these words (or even simpler words), provide your child with a newspaper or magazine to use in her search. For an extra challenge, set a time limit on her search. How many can she find?
- increases word recognition
- strengthens ability to focus on a challenge
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5