Get kids ready and excited for Halloween with a jack-o'-lantern race.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- The Runaway Pumpkin, by Kevin Lewis (optional)
- Brown paper bags
- Orange and black paint
- Twine or brown yarn
- Glue and glitter (optional)
- If available, read The Runaway Pumpkin with your child. This entertaining story tells the tale of a very large pumpkin that bumps and thumps its way down a hillside, scattering everything and everyone in its path.
- As you read, point out the rhyming words with your child. Can she think of other words that also rhyme with the words in the book?
- As you get to the refrain that's repeated throughout the book ("'Round and 'round across the ground ... "), encourage your child to read along.
To extend the reading:
- Invite your child to create a runaway pumpkin of her own. Take a paper bag (such as a lunch sack, or a grocery sack for a larger pumpkin) and stuff it with newspaper.
- Tie the top with brown yarn or twine, leaving some for a stem. Paint the pumpkin orange.
- Once the orange paint has dried, use black paint to create a jack-o'-lantern face.
- Invite siblings or friends to make their own pumpkins and have a runaway pumpkin race!
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5
Find Just-Right Books