Big Hungry Bear Matching Game
Create an easy-to-make game to go with this holiday story.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Memory and Memorization
What you need:
- Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear! by Don and Audrey Wood
- Index cards
- Crayons and/or markers
- Wrapping paper scraps (optional)
- This book tells the story of a little mouse who is very worried that the big hungry bear up the mountain will steal his Christmas presents.
- As you read the book with your child, ask him to describe why the mouse is doing what he is doing — barring the door, putting his gifts in a big bag, and so forth.
- As the story progresses, encourage your child to predict what will happen next — especially when the mouse drags the bag of presents uphill.
To extend the reading:
- Play a wrapping paper matching game! Use crayons or markers to draw gifts with various combinations of paper and bows on the index cards. They can also be different sizes. Draw one present on each index card, but make two copies of each kind of present. Or, use scraps of real wrapping paper to create your cards.
- With a younger child, place the cards faceup on the floor or a table, and invite her to match the presents. With an older child, place the cards facedown and play Concentration. As she plays, ask her to name the colors of the paper and bows.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5
Find Just-Right Books