Give your baby the power to make toys appear and disappear with this game of object peekaboo.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- Where's Spot? by Eric Hill
- Clean boxes with lids
- Small toys to fit inside the boxes
What to do:
- Read Where's Spot? by Eric Hill. Show your baby how you lift the flaps to search for Spot.
- Gather a collection of clean boxes that have attached lids, such as diaper-wipe boxes, baskets, cigar boxes, or plastic storage boxes.
- Invite your baby to try opening and closing the boxes.
- Encourage her to put toys (stuffed animals, blocks, or rattles) inside the box, and to take them out again.
- You can also try leaving a surprise inside for baby. Babies and toddlers are naturally drawn to containers with lids and doors. Their curiosity leads them as they experiment with the concept of "object permanence": Will my toy still be here when I close the box, and then open it again?