Max's Monster Mash in a Private Pineapple Boat
Try this recipe based on Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are.
What you need:
- 1 large pineapple
- 4 avocados
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup finely diced pineapple
- 1 finely diced jalapeño, seeds discarded (optional; kids should not handle)
- Juice of 1 lemon (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 jar mild salsa
- 1 large bag triangle tortilla chips
What to do:
- Prep the pineapple by cutting one side off, removing about 1⁄3 of the fruit from top to bottom.
- Tip over the pineapple, so it resembles a flat-topped "boat" with leafy stern. Remove the core by cutting a "V" lengthwise, then cutting the top and bottom of the "V" to loosen and remove the cut piece.
- Using a curved, serrated knife or a spoon, remove the rest of the fruit from the pineapple shell. Retain all fruit for the rest of the recipes.
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pits. Give each child a large spoon to scoop the avocado out of the skin and into a bowl, mashing and mushing it along the way.
- Add the onion, tomato, cilantro, pineapple, and jalapeño (optional). Mix thoroughly.
- Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Scoop this mixture into the pineapple boat and add a triangle tortilla chip sail. Serve with salsa and tortilla chips. Serves 6.