Beastly Burgers With Carrot Claws
Try this recipe based on Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are.
What you need:
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 6 natural beef, turkey, or veggie burger patties (cooked to taste)
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 small can of sliced olives
- 1 jar sandwich-sliced dill pickles
- 24 baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- Squeeze-bottle ketchup and mustard
What to do:
Shred spinach leaves into 1⁄8" strips for beast-like "hair."
Using the cap of an olive-oil bottle or something similar, cut 12 small circles from the cheese slices, pairing these with the olives to create the Wild Things' staring yellow eyes (use leftover cheese on burgers as desired).
Place a burger patty on the bun open-faced.
- Place all the remaining ingredients out buffet-style so everybody can decorate their burgers. Cut pickles to create hanging monster tongues or big protruding noses. Ketchup and mustard can be used to draw facial features. Once finished, tuck 4 carrot sticks under each side of the bun for the claws. Serves 6.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 6-7