If your 3rd-5th grader is more advanced, try these challenging books and activities:
- The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg: Each of the four protagonists in the book has their own story to tell, thus making this a wonderful chapter book for advanced readers to use for better understanding voice.
- Dictionary Fun is a wonderful site to make learning words a whole lot of fun. It will take your gifted reader on a journey of enhanced vocabulary development through games and quizzes that will adapt to his level. As he advances, he unlocks harder challenges!
- Explore The Invention of Hugo Cabaret in a whole new way! This multidimensional site will allow gifted students to draw on engineering, writing, and thinking skills!
- The challenge itself is a wonderful opportunity for gifted kids to put ideas together for a real world purpose. However, even when the challenge is not collecting submissions, the site has many engaging interactive opportunities to spark passion and ignite learning.
- Lawrence Hall of Science Interactive Showcase is a series of online and hands-on science activities. From learning about pH by making cocktails for aliens to designing your car and running it on the test track, this site has so many exciting science experiences for every kind of learner.
- Allow your gifted child to explore his own voice through this interactive editorial workshop on issues from Ink Heart by Cornelia funk.
- Wonderopolis is a fabulous site to visit every day. Presents a different interesting visual “wonder” everyday, and encourages kids’ curiosity and creativity as they find out more about the topic of the day.
- Math Pickle is wonderful math site that goes beyond practicing facts and offers children challenging problems in a fun way. The site offers curricular games, puzzles, and mini-competitions.
- Feed Me Oil iPad app: Engaging way to apply physics to fun. Can your child feed each crazy monster the oil it craves?
- Rocket Math iPad app: Adjusts to your child’s needs and abilities, engages him in missions and rocket launches. Kids can learn and play on this app for hours!
- Human Body Math Hunt: Combine math, reading, and science in this fun on line interactive adventure!
- Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers from Pre-School to High School by Judith Wynn Halsted
- One Minute Mysteries Science/Math by Eric Yoder: Engage problem solving, inference, creative thinking, predictions and math/science skills with these short fun reads!
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 8-10
Find Just-Right Books