12 Warning Signs That Your Child May Be Overscheduled
There may not be a "right" number of activities for every child, but ask yourself these questions to check if your child's getting enough downtime.
- Does he act grouchy, mopey, or irritable?
- Can she fall asleep at bedtime?
- Are his grades slipping? Does he finish his homework?
- Has she started overeating?
- Does he zone out in front of the TV?
- Is she complaining of stomachaches, headaches, or mysterious illnesses?
- Does he grumble about being bored?
- Is she over-anxious about getting approval from authority figures?
- When you're heading out the door, does he throw a tantrum or "lose" equipment?
- Does she pick fights with her siblings or complain you don't love her as much?
- Can he keep track of where's he's supposed to be?
- Is her schedule draining you or your family members?
If your child exhibits a few of these behaviors on an ongoing basis, you may want to re-examine his after-school schedule.
Find more pointers for evaluating and scheduling extracurricular activities.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 11-13