Summer Challenge 101 for Parents
New to the Summer Reading Challenge? Don’t worry, we’re giving you a crash course: The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge for parents 101.
The 10 things you need to know:
- The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge…what is it? Now in its 10th year, The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is a free global reading program aimed to keep kids reading all summer long. Starting May 9, 2016, kids can read books and as they log their reading minutes throughout the 18 weeks of summer, they will unlock stories from some of their favorite authors. Plus, throughout the summer, kids will earn digital rewards and learn about great new books to read. This year’s theme is “Be A Reading Superhero,” and it’s all about believing in kids and encouraging them to be the best independent readers they can be.
- Why should we join? Studies show that when kids don’t read over the summer, they lose core reading skills and fall behind when they go back to school. Keeping kids reading over the summer helps them maintain or increase their reading and learning skills.
- What makes this year so different? This year, Captain Underpants creator Dav Pilkey is our official Superhero of Summer Reading! He made a fun video to inspire kids around reading all summer long (watch it here!). Also new this year: we are inviting 18 Scholastic authors to create their own personalized "How I Became a Reading Superhero" story to inspire kids to keep reading. Each week, kids can unlock this fun fill-in-the-blank story and get to know fun facts about some of their favorite authors.
- How do I sign my child up? There are two ways to register. First, check with your child’s teacher to see if he or she signed up the entire class already. If so, the teacher has assigned your child a username and password. If not, you and your child can go to Scholastic.com/summer and sign up. It’s free! Although kids can log minutes through any desktop browser or mobile device (tablets or phones) browser, you must register or authenticate via a desktop browser first.
- How old does my child have to be? 4-14 is the core age, but if you read to your younger children, you can log reading minutes on their behalf.
- Is the website safe for kids? YES! There are COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) laws that Scholastic adheres to. It is completely safe for kids.
- My school is not participating. Can my child still sign up for the Challenge? Absolutely! Parents can help their kids register by going to Scholastic.com/summer. Click on “kids” and then follow the instructions to pick a user name and password. After entering your country and state, you can find your children’s school so their reading minutes will count for the school. Make sure to check your email as you will receive an approval email asking permission for reading minutes to be applied to your child’s school.
- What’s the benefit of having my child’s minutes count for the school? While in the past we have rewarded the Top 20 Schools based on minutes read, this year we are rewarding MORE schools for their accomplishments. Each state will have a winning school. To reward each of the 50 schools, Scholastic will present each school at the end of the summer with a “Celebration in a Box” that will come complete with items to host a school-wide reading celebration: a plaque, banner, streamers, balloons and certificates for the students. In addition, the top 50 schools will receive a special poster, created personally by Dav Pilkey.
- My child is still in school – does that mean we have to wait for summer vacation to start? No! Kids can start logging minutes right away through September 9, 2016.
- I am always looking for creative ways to keep my kids reading. Any suggestions? Sure! We have LOTS of great ideas. Check out the Parents tab at Scholastic.com/summer for a daily calendar that provides free expert tips, articles, and activities for you to do with your reader this summer. You'll also find daily tips, book lists, and a new "Ask the Experts" book recommendation feature for parents.
Find Just-Right Books