5 Ways to Encourage a Love of Learning
Nurture your child's curiosity to foster a passion for learning.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
- Read, read, and read to your child for at least 15 minutes every day. Take turns reading with your older child — you read one page, she reads the next — or establish a family reading time when everyone reads her own book.
- Encourage him to express his opinion, talk about his feelings, and make choices. This will build his confidence to participate in school discussions and activities. Be sure to establish parameters for his choices, since you don't want to criticize his decisions.
- Help her develop hobbies and interests, and ensure she has the tools she needs to pursue them. For example, if she loves to check the mailbox, give her a magnifying glass and album and show her how to start a stamp collection.
- Provide him with play opportunities that support different kinds of learning styles — from listening and visual learning to sorting and sequencing. Stock your closet with supplies that will encourage him to be creative and express himself.
- Point out the new things you learn with enthusiasm. Discuss the different ways you find new information, showing her that learning is both fun and challenging.