Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- large mural paper
- child safety scissors
- fabric scraps
- glue stick
- non-breakable mirrors
What to do:
- Roll out mural paper and encourage your child to think about how he would like to position his body for the portrait. Does he want his legs and arms straight or bent? Out to the sides or close to his body?
- Invite him to lie in his desired position on the paper as you trace the outline of his body.
- Have your child begin fleshing out the portrait by making his face, hair, and clothes, using the art materials. Place a mirror nearby so that he can observe his face. Let his imagination soar as he comes up with new ways to represent his unique look.
- Ask him to tell you about what he is depicting on his body portrait. You might even want to videotape your conversation!
- Promotes self-awareness and discovery
- Encourages creativity
- Fosters fine-motor skills
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5