Use a flashlight to see shapes!
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- big piece of white paper
- construction paper
What to do:
- Help your child cut different shapes out of construction paper (circles, stars, hearts, diamonds, triangles, and so forth). Tape the big piece of paper to the wall.
- Shine the flashlight on the white paper while your child holds up a shape. Then, invite her to trace the shadow on the paper. (If she needs help, prop the flashlight on a chair or stack of books to free up your hands.)
- Ask your child how she can make the shadow bigger or smaller. Try it and see what works.
- Encourage your child to use her hands to create "puppets" and animals to trace as well. Take turns making shadows and tracing them.
- Take down the paper and invite your child to color in the shapes that she traced.
Adapted from Let's Find Out magazine
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5
Find Just-Right Books