Make stamps perfect for little hands.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- Potatoes (smaller white potatoes work best)
- Knife (adults only!)
- Tempera paint
- Paper plates
- Construction paper (different colors)
- Aluminum foil (optional)
What to do:
- Prepare for this activity by cutting potatoes to a size small enough for your child to grasp.
- Next, cut away the outside of the potato so that a shape, such as a circle, remains in the middle. Repeat for different shapes. The shapes should be about ½ inch deep.
- Pour paint into paper plates for easy dipping.
- Show your child how to dip the potato into the paint and use it to make prints on paper.
- As you make prints with your child, discuss the different shapes and colors.
- For an added twist, use foil instead of construction paper for printing. Notice how shiny the foil looks!
- Supports vocabulary development
- Enhances small motor skills
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 1-4